May 2016:
March 2014:

Friday, May 27, 2016

I'm just doing a quick compare of GNP and GDP, so WTF


I'm just doing a quick compare of GNP and GDP, so I figured I'd subject myself to the new FRED that is being introduced.

What's different, new to old, is that in the old system you pick your first data series, then you pick your second data series and put it with the first one, then you enter the calculation and yadda yadda. In the new system you pick your first data series, then either you go to the "put the second one with the first one" box or you go to the "figure a separate line" box, before adding the second data series. This is the biggest conceptual revision I've noticed so far in the new fred.

What would be nice would be, they should let you move or copy any of the data series from any box to any other box, or even to a new box. Eh, maybe in the 2018 revision huh?

//

What else would be nice ...

Either
don't slow me down by regenerating the graph unnecessarily (like every time I add a data series)
Or
make it so the graph stays 'fixed' in the upper half of the screen, and the buttons on the left -- now that's a nice feature, the buttons to activate the boxes -- the buttons only change what happens on the lower half of the screen
Or maybe both.

//

(idle thoughts, unfinished)

1 comment:

The Arthurian said...

and they should put the "tooltip" checkbox on the screen with the graph so you don't have to go hunt for it when you want to get rid of that spastic window that hides what you're trying to see on the graph.