May 2016:
March 2014:

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

default image


I got GDP in the new revised fred and used SAVE/SHARE: EXPORT: IMAGE to see what the default would look like.

Here ya go:


Yeah that's useful.

For my econ blog I usually resize graphs to about 515 pixels wide.

Here is the default image, resized:


Why is it squat like that?

Can you read the numbers? Or is it more trouble than it's worth.

Oh, I can re-size the graph at FRED before I save the image. Of course. But it is an extra step. And it is two extra numbers that I have to remember. And I don't trust memory.

With the old FRED, the current FRED I mean, soon to be defunct probably for no reason that I can see, change for the sake of change, with the old FRED you could SAVE SETTINGS and it would remember the size of the graph and things like that. And then you could APPLY SETTINGS to make other graphs the same size. It didn't work very well, but at least it was an option. That option is apparently no longer available.

2 comments:

The Arthurian said...

"soon to be defunct probably for no reason that I can see"

There are still plenty of things in the current FRED that need fixing. Instead of fixing the things that don't work, they are throwing away baby with bathwater. The last time they did that it was a disaster.

The Arthurian said...

It would be nice if they... I created an account at fred as soon as I saw the awkward default size of the graphs in the pending new fred. I remembered seeing the
Restore defaults | Save settings | Apply saved settings options in the current system. Never used them, because I wasn't sure what they did, and I didn't have an account. But it seemed like I should be able to set the size of the graph to the size I want.

And you can. (I checked it out after I set up an account.) It lets you type in your size numbers for the graph, and it saves the numbers. And then when you use the apply saved settings, it happily changes the size numbers to match your saved settings. But the graph size doesn't change.

To re-size the graph I had to refresh the screen. This is just stupidly bad programming, in my less than humble opinion. It's not surprising, though. It's also stupidly bad management to keep replacing a system that works with a system that doesn't work. This blog, until now, has been about the last time they replaced a system that works with one that doesn't -- back in 2014.

It would be nice if they made the graph size settings, and all the graph settings that the Save settings option saves, it would be nice if you could make those settings the default settings for every graph you create at fred.

It would be nice if you could bring those setting up and edit them.

Shit, it would be nice if you could at least *see* them.