May 2016:
March 2014:

Sunday, May 10, 2015

What's missing? (Part two)


Here's the top part of a page of search results at FRED:


I searched for TCMD (which once meant "Total Credit Market Debt") expecting to find the several data series containing that four-letter sequence in the series name. You know, like TCMDO and TCMDODNS and FGTCMDODNS...

Then I sorted the list by Title. So the list starts with series titles beginning with "A", but that didn't help.

Then I did a screen capture to document the sort options available. I use Obs Start sometimes, when I'm looking for older data. That's about all I use, from that list.

(I wonder how Popularity differs from Search Rank. What determines search rank, if not popularity??)

//

See what's missing from the sort options? Series Name is missing from the list. Heck, there's not a series name on the whole page. If you want to know what's the series name for a series title like Domestic Nonfinancial Sectors; Credit Market Instruments; Liability, Level you have to display the graph of the series, then look in the Edit Data Series settings to find it. It's presented as a parenthetical afterthought -- class="muted" -- like this:

(a) Domestic Nonfinancial Sectors; Credit Market Instruments; Liability, Level, Billions of Dollars, Not Seasonally Adjusted (TCMDODNS)

To my mind, it's much easier to read a short name like TCMDO -- or a compound short name like

FG + TCMDO + DNS

than it is to read a long wordy title. (It's not like they provide technical definitions for all their wordy words.)

What's missing? C'mon, Fred. Show the damn series names in your search results. You want to make 'em muted? Make 'em muted, I don't give a shit. But show them.

// Find Part One here.

No comments: